What is the Meaning of Counseling?
“Listening is often the only thing needed to help someone”
Are you upset, angry, or irritated most of the time? Feel low at work or with family? Can’t handle work-life pressure? Or just feel like giving up on things?
Then you are facing a need for emotional support and consultation.
Counseling is a helping relationship which is a type of talk therapy where one with the problem seeks professional advice from trained specialists. There are three types of counseling. Counseling is where an individual, couple, or family meets a person- who is skilled in providing mental stability– and talks to them about their challenges in daily lives. Psychotherapy with these experts is confidential and non-judgemental.
The counseling process creates an emotionally safe place according to the comfort of the client and an accepting and caring bond through which the client is initiated to explore and simplify the ways of leading a satisfying and resourceful life. For a mentally disturbed person, online counseling mentors you with advice and recommendation to encourage you to rise above your problems and sufferings.
3 Most Common Types Of Counseling
- Mental health counseling
- Marriage counseling
- Educational/ Career counseling
1) Mental Health Counseling
“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ~ Albus Dumbledore
Feeling prolonged sadness, depression, or apathy? Or feeling disconnected from the activities you once loved? These are very common emotions of a human which he/she tends to feel at almost every stage of life.
1. What is the meaning of mental health counseling ?
Mental health is a prescriptive technique of counseling where one in anguish seeks professional help to regain intellectual stability. It is a way of assisting people to solve their own emotional, social, or personal disabilities. Counseling services, guides a person in many ways, here are some of them:
- Facilitates behavioral/lifestyle changes:
One can grasp the idea of an ideal lifestyle. Hence, one can bring positive, healthy, and productive Behavior change in their daily life.
- Promotes the decision-making practices and brings out your actual potential:
One can become confident and mentally prepared for the hardships which allow them to acquire the skill of decision making. Furthermore, these mentors teach the people- in need- ways to live independently and maintain gainful employment.
- Enhances one’s ability to cope: From the guidance of a trained consultant one gains the potential to comprehend its problems and from the apt aid, can cope in any situation.
2) Marriage Counseling
“You can’t control everything. Sometimes you just need to relax and have faith that things will work out. Let go a little and just let life happen.” ~ Kody Keplinger
It is a type of counseling that facilitates the issues occurring in marriage between a couple. It is perceived that sometimes couples themselves don’t have the idea of the distance between them. Marriage counseling imparts psychotherapy to the couple to overcome their concerns and fears. Also known as couples counseling.
- Have useless arguments now and then: Are you feeling as if there is no conversation leaving the room without arguments? That every time you talk you feel more guilty and unsatisfied? These are the main signs telling you to explore couples therapy. Marriage assistance enlightens you with ways of diffusing heated arguments most healthily. It prescribes you strategies and instructions to make the journey of your joyous marriage proceed on the right track.
- Have clashes regarding money: Having conflicts regarding saving and spending money is a natural and common phenomenon in a relationship. Through counseling, couples can understand each other’s thoughts regarding these matters, moreover, understand their relationship with money. Through the help of a counselor, couples become more aware of their spending behaviors and develop more financial empathy towards each other.
- Going through a big change: When one of the people in a relationship goes through a big change, it creates a type of situation where one wrong move could collapse a marriage. A big change refers to a long illness or loss of a loved one. When your spouse doesn’t understand your situation or isn’t supportive, it creates an emotional distance in couples.
The counseling process heals that distance by providing you with ways where you can understand each other and have a productive, understanding-based clarification. This restores the connection you and your partner once shared. To learn more about counselors or book a session visit GoodLives Experts.
3) Educational Counseling
“Children must be taught how to think not what to think” ~ Margaret Mead
Have doubts regarding which stream to choose? Can’t figure out what pulls you/ what you are passionate about? Or simply just don’t know what the future holds for you. These all are the reasons one should go for taking educational counseling.
Educational counseling is a type of help you receive from skilled professionals who advise and navigate you to find your true desire in the field of careers. A counselor provides you with directions and ideas to choose the right profession– be it in choice of stream, university, college, or simply life interests. A career or educational advocacy opens one’s eyes to the ocean of opportunities and destinations.
- Opens your mind to newer opportunities: Most of the time many brilliant brains come to silence when they lack the knowledge on the right education. They don’t know what the world can offer them, and hence are unable to find out and follow their passion with clarity. Through the tutoring of career or educational propositions, you get to know that the water you have been swimming in is just a pond whilst a whole ocean is waiting for you.
- Makes your thoughts clear as crystal: This conversing process clears your misunderstanding by providing you with every piece of information and consultancy. This type of counseling makes you perceive the details of what you can achieve- with the proper guidance and treatment.