Be “Man-Enough” to deal with your problems on your own? Don’t cry like girls and other such statements have put men in cages of confined emotions.
Men are expected to be strong and not displaying emotions becomes an indispensable part of their lives as they grow up. In reality, they suffer from equal trauma when it comes to depression.
The flustered state of conflict between mind and emotions leads to severe problems. We need to understand that it is absolutely okay to be more human and seek help for depression, even for men.
The first step towards understanding your mental well-being begins with acknowledging deeper feelings.
Around 5.8% of men in India are suffering from depression, according to a study from the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
It has become the major cause of DALY (Disability-adjusted life years). Or the leading cause of the total number of years lost due to ill-health and disability is depression.
It is second to ischemic heart disease.
Did you know, Men are twice as likely as women to commit suicide? And the number of suicides in men has increased from the past 26 years.
Men with depression tend to rely on the excess of alcohol and display anger & become violent toward others.
Causes of Depression in Men
- The pressure at the workplace
- Job Loss
- Inability to meet life goals
- Incapacity to manage Work-life balance
- Poor health
- Loss in business
- Excessive loan or borrowings
Although, Signs and symptoms are different.
Signs are observed by other people whereas symptoms can be felt only by the person having it.
Signs of depression in men are usually similar to signs of depression in women but symptoms are usually different.
Signs of depression in Men
- You may become more and more silent or show excess anger
- You tend to ignore people in your family and friends
- You might feel lost in your world unaware of the surroundings
- Over or no sleep
If you are seeing any of the above signs you should talk it out with your family.
The issue may seem negligible or may not seem worth discussing as of now but it could result in a life-changing event I meant negatively.
If someone in your family or neighborhood shows the following symptoms, try to talk to them and see if they need advice from a health professional.
Symptoms of depression in Men
- You may feel irritated every time
- Loss of interest in everyday routine
- You may lose the desire for sex
- You might lose appetite
- You may prefer to avoid Social interaction
- Thoughts of self-harm may occur
- Wanting to escape current realities
- Irregular sleep may make you sleep-deprived
- Feeling of sadness throughout the day
- You are becoming angry
Remember: It is not simple as saying, that “this shall too pass”, or “it is just a phase”. Seeking help for mental health issues is very much similar to seeing a doctor for physical illnesses.
The symptoms might not look dangerous in isolation but can result lead to deep mental trauma or in the worst case self-harm or suicide if not treated properly.