Is depression in women different from general mood swings and sadness? Women are biologically designed to experience more emotions than men. Sometimes they become “too much” to handle. This can be due to multiple factors. Never feel alone in your struggles with depression. Find out the causes and symptoms here.
Around 9.5% of women in India are suffering from depression, according to a study from the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
The cases are twice in women compared to men due to multiple factors.
Women may suffer more due to:
- Lack of awareness
- Stigma Disadvantaged position of women
- Multiple roles
- More sensitivity to interpersonal relationships
- Increased levels of stress
- An inadequate number of mental health professionals
- Domestic violence
Did you know, Depression has become the major cause of DALY (Disability-adjusted life years)? The leading cause of the total number of years lost due to ill-health and disability is depression.
Causes Depression in women
- Abusing or Beatings from partner
- Disputes in the family or at the workplace
- Unreasonable demands or pressure from in-laws
- Eve teasing
- Work-life Balance
- Events during Pregnancy
- Abnormal Menstruation cycle
- Body shaming
- Childhood Trauma
- Racial or color discrimination
Although, Signs and symptoms are different.
Signs are observed by other people whereas symptoms can be felt only by the person having it.
Signs of depression in men are usually similar to signs of depression in women but symptoms are usually different.
Signs of Depression in Women
- They tend to become either more and more silent or show excessive anger
- They start to ignore people in your family and friends
- They are lost in their world, unaware of the surroundings
- Over or no sleep
- Mood swings
If you are seeing any of the above signs you should talk it out with your family or a confidant.
Depression can be due to many other factors as well. The simple act of talking about your problems helps a lot in most cases.
Some women continue to live with a troubled state of mind for the most part of their lives to avoid social stigma.
Your perpetual feeling of sadness can be very traumatizing and can hamper your daily lives. It is very important to seek advice from a medical health professional or at least friends and family.
If someone in your family or neighborhood shows the following symptoms, try to talk to them and see if they need advice from a health professional.
Symptoms of depression in Women
- You start ignoring people around you
- Excess fatigue
- Mood swings
- You might start developing negative thoughts
- Panic attacks or excess worry during pregnancy
Takeaway: The symptoms might not look dangerous right now but can result lead to isolation or in the worst case self-harm or suicide if not treated properly.
If you observe these signs among any of your peers, advise them to seek professional help.